Klein Frank, P.C. Klein Frank, P.C.

Your Rights After a Severe Burn Injury

Burns are more common than you think. Last year around 486,000 people received medical treatment for burn injuries in the United States alone. That same year, another 2,745 people died because of residential fires, 310 because of from vehicle crash fires, and 220 other people were killed from other sources. These types of injuries can also be extremely debilitating, while others can cause such extensive damage that they kill the victim. In these kinds of cases, what your rights as the injured party will vary depending on your situation.


If you were burned while on the job, you may be covered by workers’ compensation insurance. This type of insurance is carried by many businesses in Colorado. Under Colorado law, all public and private employers in Colorado, with few exceptions, must provide workers’ compensation coverage for their employees if one or more full- or part-time workers are employed. This coverage will pay for any medical care, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages you may incur as the result of your injury. However, it is vital you file for workers’ compensation as soon as possible, particularly before the statute of limitations is up.

Product Liability

If your burn was caused by a defective or unreasonably dangerous product, you might be able to sue the designer or manufacturer of the item. Colorado product liability actions are based on negligence or strict liability. They can include claims of design defect, manufacturing defect, or a failure to label the product with adequate warnings. You must be able to prove the product was dangerous and that this flaw led to your injury.

Auto Crashes

Car accidents rely on each driver’s insurance to cover the cost of injuries, lost wages, and property damage. However, Colorado is a comparative fault state. If you were partly at fault for the accident, you would still be eligible for compensation but might not receive as much as you would have if you weren’t partly responsible. If the other driver is completely at fault, you can file a claim with the insurance company of that motorist. Barring adequate coverage, you also have the right to sue the at-fault driver if the doesn’t cover the full cost of your medical expenses.


In all other types of circumstances, if someone was liable for your injury, you have the right to sue them for compensation. You must file a lawsuit within 2 years of the date of your injury. If your injury was caused by a city, county, or state government, you only have 180 days to file.

If you have more questions about your rights, don’t hesitate to call our skilled Boulder personal injury lawyers. Klein Frank, P.C. is dedicated to providing help for individuals harmed through the negligence or carelessness of another person or group. We have more than 60 years of combined legal experience to offer your case. However you sustained your burns, don’t pay for the cost of them out of pocket. We understand that medical expenses can be exorbitant, and catastrophic injuries can often prevent people from working their regular jobs again. Let us see how much compensation we can recover in your case.

Contact us at (303) 448-8884 or fill out our online form to schedule a case consultation today.

Related Posts
  • Can I Sue a Drunk Driver Who Hit Me? Read More
  • How to Stay Safe During Fourth of July Celebrations Read More
  • How to Accident-Proof Your Home Read More