Klein Frank, P.C. Klein Frank, P.C.

Can You Sue if You Were Assaulted on Private Property?

Property owners and managers are legally obligated to ensure that their properties are safe and properly maintained, and part of this responsibility includes providing adequate security. If you were assaulted on private property, such as at a nightclub, bus station, or even on a university campus, you might have a valid premises liability claim and may be able to sue the property owner or manager to receive compensation for medical costs associated with your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering.Negligent Security

Inadequate Security & Your Rights

Premises liability goes beyond cases involving issues like poorly maintained grounds. Property owners have a legal obligation to deter criminals from committing crimes against those who visit their properties. This includes providing adequate lighting, security supervision, surveillance systems, and hiring properly trained employees. While private property can be either residential or commercial, business owners are usually held to a higher standard when it comes to this duty of care.

Examples of establishments that are obligated to provide adequate security include, but are not limited to:

  • Apartment complexes
  • Hotels
  • Amusement parks
  • Shopping centers
  • Restaurants and bars
  • Gas stations
  • Public parks and beaches
  • Healthcare facilities

When these establishments do not have sufficient security, those on the premises are left vulnerable to crime. While the criminal justice system can punish the perpetrator for an assault, it will not provide for the losses an individual suffered, which is why it is important to hold the property owner or manager responsible as well in civil court. A failure to provide adequate security makes an establishment a prime target for criminals and you have a right to address this failure in court.

Holding Negligent Property Owners Responsible in Colorado

If you believe you have a premises liability case, it is important to seek skilled legal representation as soon as possible. At Klein Frank, P.C., our team has over 60 years of combined experience handling a wide variety of personal injury cases, which we will put to use for you. Negligent property owners should be held accountable when their actions cause harm to others.

Contact us today at (303) 448-8884 for a free initial consultation!

Related Posts
  • Can I Sue a Drunk Driver Who Hit Me? Read More
  • How to Stay Safe During Fourth of July Celebrations Read More
  • How to Accident-Proof Your Home Read More